The recipe comes from Bakerella, a blog I lurk at on a regular basis. Her photography is gorgeous and makes me want to upgrade my brand new camera!
Having made this recipe a couple of times with massive success, of course the Oreos rose to the top in pretty much every cuppy this time when I want to take photos! They still taste awesome. (I've just re-read Bakerella's recipe and hers did the same thing, I suddenly feel better!!)
A whole Oreo in the bottom of the pan - these have to be good!
This is so easy - mix it all up.
Stick it in a jug and simply pour it into the cups!
Ready to go
And as if scripted, every Oreo rose to the top - except the top left, look at that one!! I was especially impressed by the lava-like explosion on the far right in the middle row.
Makes at least 12 cupcakes (I always get around 20!)
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup hot water
2 x packets of Oreo biscuits
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Line cupcake tin with baking cups
- Place one whole cookie in each cup, or alternatively break apart at least 12 cookies and place the broken pieces in each cup.
- Mix the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bown using a wire whisk (I have a kitchenaid which is effectively cheating!)
- Add the eggs, oil, vanilla and milk and mix well until thoroughly combined. Add the hot water and mix until combined.
- Transfer the batter, which will be very liquidy, to a large measuring cup and pour batter into each baking cup so that it's about three quarters full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes
- Cool, frost with your favourite frosting (I went with a vanilla buttercream as I think chocolate may have been a bit of an overload!)
Ready to go - hope they like them!