First up, Jam Donut Muffins! Or actually, Jam Doughnut Muffins. I'm yet to understand the difference, Google tells me there isn't any so I'm going with what I know.
This is such an easy one bowl recipe. All the ingedients in:
Dollop some jam on a bit of the mixture - I went with nutella, jam and lemon curd for variety.
And then cover it over with some more mixture.
They bake up beautifully, and finish off well with some melted butter and cinnamon sugar.
What I like about these is they give you a donutty (new word) type snack but minus the deep fryer, and they are SO easy to put together.
I like to put different fillings in them, I made a double batch today with lemon curd for my lemon crazy Mum, as well as nutella in some for me and raspberry jam for hubby.
The innards of a nutella muffin. At its most perfect when still warm.
1 1/3 cups self raising flour
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
7 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 teaspoons strawberry jam/nutella/apricot jam/whatever you like!
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven 180 celcius
- With a fork, beat together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla.
- Stir this into the flour and 1/3 cup sugar to combine. Don't overbeat, a few lumps are fine.
- Spoon mixture into muffin cups so just under 1/3 full.
- Add a teaspoon of jam into the center of the cup, and then more muffin mix so just about full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the tops of the muffins spring back when pressed lightly. Remove from oven.
- Melt butter in a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon on a small plate.
- Whilst still warm, take muffins out of cups (I leave them in as it's less messy to give them to people), roll in butter and then sugar. Eat warm (or warm briefly in microwave later!)